One of the young women I mentor, Princess S, recently turned 15 which brought about a significant occasion in her life ~ getting her driving permit. She has been talking excitedly of all the time she will spend driving once she gets it. That day came last week and I got the call this weekend with the question, "You want to go driving today?". So, we embarked on a little road trip, which grew into driving on back roads around our little town, practicing parking and backing up in an almost vacant lot, up to a 12 mile drive on an older highway to the next town down the road. The one area I noticed she had the biggest issue with was turns. Sometimes, she'd turn the car quickly and make a big sweeping turn that required a lot of correction to get back in her own lane, other times, she'd cut it quick and almost take a header in the ditch because she was too close. But when she would slow down and take her time, her turns were perfect. Smooth.
This made me think about my relationship with her. We've had a mentoring relationship for the past 5+ years. In the beginning, it was like driving on those back roads... I had no idea how to mentor a 10 year old. We just spent a lot of time getting to know each other by wandering around activities like movies, shopping, crafts. She would chatter on about things in her life, and I would listen and try to give counsel, but being careful not to overdo it. I was constantly parking and backing up, just trying to get the hang of how to share life with a young person. As she progressed into her teens, that's when the turns came into play. I can remember a few occasions when I'd make a fast, sweeping turn only to have to really correct ~either by prayer,apology or both!~ to get us back between the lines. Sometimes it was the quick turns either of us would make that would send us careening for the ditch. In those cases, for me it has always been the fear of failure. The fear of letting her too close and then somehow really screwing her up. It was those times that the Lord and my best friend would remind me that God has my back, take my time, go slowly. It will smooth out. And it has ~
This weekend, during one of our typical talks, she was sharing some struggles in her life...some normal teen angst and some other things that most teens don't normally deal with and was wondering if she will ever get through it. Then she asked me if I've ever had just a really bad period in my life and did I ever get over it. It stunned and excited me at the same time. At that moment, I was so thankful for the trials I've had because I have a wealth of experience to draw from. I was able to tell her that yes, she will rise above this and God will bring her out stronger on the other side. I was stunned because I realized that in my effort to protect her, I may have come across a little too put together. Oh, she knows I'm a screw up on a variety levels, but I wonder if I am not as vulnerable as I need to be so that she can see Christ at work in me. So, slowly, I took the turn, shared some struggles and fears I have now and how I'm depending on God to work them out. I admitted I don't know how to proceed and asked her to pray for me. I have no idea how He will use it, but I'm joy filled that I took the turn from mentor/friend to full fledged friendship with her! Looking forward to seeing what great things this young woman will do and be... and knowing I had a little piece in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment