Friday, August 19, 2011

The Spanking

Oft times, I have heard fellow believers in Jesus talk about getting a 'spanking' from the Lord.  I always found that rather humorous, but I understood what they meant...the Lord got their attention through correction.  You see, as a child, I wasn't spanked much.  My friend, Bob, says, "Maybe if you had been, we'd be dealing with a whole different Carla!".  He jokes...I think.  I believe my parents never found it necessary to spank me much, not because I was that good of a kid, but rather because I have an overly tender heart.  It took one look of disappointment from my dad to send me into a tail spin of remorse that would often last days.  Now Mom, well, I can remember a few times that the bottom of her flip flop or a switch would find it's mark on my hinder parts, but I honestly don't remember that happening as much.  It usually worked to tell me that they were disappointed...which felt worse than any beating ever could have!

Discipline from the Lord often is seen in the same way in my life.  It is rare that I feel a 'spanking' from Him.  But boy do I routinely feel the rod of correction through His word and that still, small voice.  It happened today.

I have been praying for more opportunities to share Christ with others, to reach out of my ordinary routines and expand my mission field.  As I was praising the Lord this morning for fruit our church has experienced over the past several months and praising Him for the baptisms that will happen this weekend, again, the prayer bubbled up and out that I want broader borders in my influence.  As is typical of my walk with Jesus, He was gonna test my honesty in that prayer.  Just didn't think it would happen so soon!!  I called a friend to invite them to join me and a few others for a girls dinner and movie night.  The group I envisioned in my mind would have a night of laughs and just being ourselves.  Well, the Lord moved...my friend asked if she could invite one of her friends.  Uh, well...(I really didn't want to upset the dynamic of the group I had envisioned)....uh, well, I'd rather not if that's okay.  She was a bit disappointed, but understood. So, we chatted up a bit more then hung up.  I went to work on something and then it hit...that small voice said, " Thought you wanted to increase your borders?"  Whoa.  Then, as if to drill home the point, He said, "Were you for real about your request or not?"  Ouch.  I love how the Lord isn't snarky or sarcastic...just asks a simple question that cuts through any smoke and mirrors that I may have set up.  Wow.

I phoned the friend back, apologized, and re-invited all who would want to come.  I explained that I was wrong and that her friend might just need some fellowship with some believers.  Then I promptly thanked the Lord for loving me so much that He isn't going to let me dwell in my selfishness, nor is going to miss an opportunity for correction and training.  What a wonderful lesson today!

Thank you Father for loving me beyond what I can begin to comprehend.  Thank you for correcting me and not allowing me to be less that who You want me to be.  Thank you for pointing out my selfishness, but more importantly, for pointing out my need to step it up in my committment to seeing others come to know You.  I love you!

Job 5:17

Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty

No comments:

Post a Comment