Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 14 - Heart

I have to admit, I rolled my eyes when I saw the photo for today was a heart...really? How original.  Part of that feeling is a tiny bit of residual hate for Valentine's Day. I came to terms several years ago that I was NOT going to judge my 'love worthiness' on a day created by Hallmark, nor was I going continue to buy into the Hollywood story of how romance and love were to be played out.  So, that left me with the question, "How do I blog this one?"

I'd thought about talking of how wicked and deceitful the heart is (Jeramiah 17:9) but that is a bit dark, even if it is true. I thought about writing on the love chapter in 1 Corinthians 13, but that could take all day.  So I decided to compromise and fall somewhere in the middle.  We all have things that capture our hearts ~ God, people, pets, addictions, activities ~ and we will spend a lot of time, energy, and money to express our love for those things.  My checkbook is all too often a great indicator of a heart that's been captured by something I'd rather not have my heart captured by!

I've learned that real love cannot exist without sacrifice.  For it to be authentic, those two must go hand in glove. Honestly, I all too often do not love well.  I can be far too selfish (again, see checkbook! :) ).  Fortunately, I have a great example of what love is ~ Jesus Christ.  What He did on the cross for me is the ultimate example of real love.  I didn't deserve that mercy and grace, but He did it anyway.  I don't deserve His constant involvement in my life, but He gives it anyway.  I don't deserve to get to spend eternity in heaven with Him, but He's preparing a place for me anyway.  All because He loves me!  Folks, Hallmark and Hollywood's version of 'love' cannot begin to be compared...because it isn't love.  My question is: Do you know this kind of love?  He's knocking at the door of your heart, wanting to give it to you.  All you have to do is accept it.

Now for those of us who do know Jesus, I think we would probably all say we could work on our love skills a bit with each other.  I came across this quote that I'd written in my Bible years ago that often convicts me when I am not feeling the love towards another person:
            
                     "Anyone can pass judgment - but can they lay down their lives in love, intercession and faith for the one they are judging?  Can they target an area of need and rather than criticizing, fast and pray, asking God to supply the very virtue they feel lacking?  And then persevere in that love - motivated in prayer until that fallen area blooms in godliness?  Such is the life Christ commands we follow!" 
                        Francis Fragipane from Holiness, Truth and the Presence

May this be the heart I have.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

John 15:13   Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment