I have had the most delightful holiday season this year! Trust me, that's saying something because normally, I am not a big fan. I think the main reason for good cheer this year is because I have tried not to buy into the whole craziness that has become Christmas in America ~ decorating, baking, shopping, parties, more shopping...you get the picture. I am not saying that these things are wrong, but I know they are wrong for me because I go way out of bounds with them. So, I decided to try temperance and what do you know, God, as always, is right! One of the main things I wanted to do was spend time with those I love. The past week and this week will be devoted to just being with those people and I am loving it so far! One of those special people gave me a very good laugh and a very sweet God moment of lessons in which I needed a refresher.
If you've read previous blogs or read my fb page, you know that I have a nephew and two nieces that have my heart. On Christmas Eve, I got to spend a little bit of one on one time with The Nephew. Logan is so many things that I wish I were...hilariously funny, a sweet heart towards others, loving abundantly, incredible musical talent, just to name a few. Lesson one of the day came when he agreed to help me do some baking. He was wanting some of my pecan bars, so I told him that I would teach him how to make them. As we were measuring and mixing ingredients and he got to have control over the hand mixer, we chatted about giving gifts to others. He proceeded to tell me about exchanging gifts with a kid in his class of which others aren't particularly fond. He said, "I know others don't like him, but I do." At that moment, my heart was pierced. Here was an 11 year old reaching out to what the world cast down...like Jesus. I was convicted because I know my heart, and subsequently, my actions don't reflect that kind of character nearly enough. In fact, I rather suck at it. Ouch. Out of the mouth of babes...
Lesson two came as we were driving to a family party. As is our normal course of conversation, it leans towards the most random, and the topic du jour was about dreams. We started talking about the funniest dreams we have ever had and Logan regaled me with one about him playing checkers with a chicken. I will not do the story justice by retelling it, but the funniest part was the incredulous look on Logan's face when he told me that not only did he play checkers with a chicken, but the chicken beat him! We laughed so hard! After that, he shared his most frightening dream. He told me that after he had it, he decided to pray every night. It was his next words, spoken so matter of factly, that again, convicted. He said, "And I know God will keep answering because He already has." That child-like faith. So beautiful. So necessary.
Why is it sometimes so difficult as an adult to just believe that the Lord is going to do what He says he is going to do? Why do I struggle with believing that He hears me, loves me, wants to answer my prayers? Why do I have confidence that He will do for others, but not for me? When did I lose that child like awe and love for my Savior? I know God will keep answering because He already has....
Those questions make me rethink my prayers for Logan. Time to increase the petitions for Logan's on going sanctification. I will pray he consistently revels in his relationship with Jesus. I will pray that the talents and gifts he possess will be used to reach the world for Jesus. I will pray that he never loses that child-like faith. I will pray that when the world sees Logan Ewing, they will see Jesus in the flesh.
Jesus, you are my all in all. I am so grateful for the lessons you teach me through Logan, Rileigh, and Olivia. Thank you for the best Christmas gift...your grace and mercy. I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment