Have you ever noticed that when you decide to plant your mind in a certain place, the enemy of your soul comes along with the nastiest of tricks to try to pull you back down into the muck and mire of stinkin' thinkin'? Or when you declare to the world that you are going to take a certain stand, you most assuredly find yourself being tempted to do the polar opposite of what you desire to do? This morning was one of those times for me.
I was so pumped after getting a morning call from Kelli saying that she was having a peace filled, upbeat kind of morning. It's been truly hard for her to wrap her mind and emotions around all of the information surrounding her diagnosis. Everything she is experiencing is quite normal for the circumstances...but not 'normal' for Kelli. So when she called and was her ornery self and we were laughing, I gotta say that made my entire week!! Oh, I know we will have some rough days ahead, but I will rejoice in the good of today. The day proceeded to go well, circumstantially anyway. I was buffeting the barbs of the enemy to be snarky over some ignorant vain imaginations, drowning out the whispers in my ear that taunted me to start rehashing a time wasting conversation with edifying music, and ignoring the ongoing annoyance sour attitudes. I was feeling some relief that brighter days are ahead until I opened my Bible.
Now, I normally don't say that about opening my Bible! But today, I rediscovered a note written to me awhile back from someone who at one time was a big influence in my life. Someone who meant a great deal to me. Someone with whom I have no relationship anymore. It was taped onto the inside cover and I had truly forgotten it was there. But this morning, as I flipped open the Word, it caught my eye. As I read the incredibly sweet words, my heart started to break as a flood of memories of better times and sweet fellowship started to play across my mind. I felt myself starting to spiral down into a pit of useless questions such as 'why, God?' and 'what if?' and 'how did it get here?'. And it was in that split second that I realized I have a choice...dwell or repel. I could allow my mind to dwell in a place that isn't healthy for my soul or I could repel those thoughts by employing 2 Corinthians 10:5 which says "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself
against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought
to the obedience of Christ;" Thank the Lord, I chose the latter. I immediately turned to Philippians and just started saturating my mind with the Word. I gave up my 'right' to dwell and instead surrendered to His plan to saturate my mind with that which is true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtuous, and worthy of praise. Oh did that feel awesome!
Maybe you are in the same boat? Are you being sucked down into a pit of thinking that isn't spiritually healthy? Have you refused to let go of feelings that are hovering right over the pit of bitterness? Is He calling you to partake in His promise of renewing your mind for better things? Friend, I know your pain.
I wish I could say I employ this all of the time, but if you have spent anytime at all with me, you know this is an area of ongoing construction with me. But for today, I will rejoice in His power to change me and my access to such power! Yep...my joy is not defined by circumstances!
No comments:
Post a Comment