Yesterday I had to attend yet another training. Oh how I have come to loathe them. I invariably walk away far more discouraged than when I entered the room. As I was prepping to leave, I sent a text out telling my friend that I'd probably be in touch through out the day because I would be bored. Yeah, I was already planning to be disengaged and Facebook was going to be my entertainment!
As I was driving to the training, I got to thinking about that text and technology and how easy it has become to be anywhere else than where I am and in the moment. I really was mulling that over and talking to the Lord about how this has become a growing problem for me. I have always been bent to look past the here and now to the 'next fun thing' on my schedule. Sometimes I wonder if I don't enjoy the anticipation more than the event! Now with texting, twitter, facebook, etc. I am able to be with virtually anyone else other than those in the room. And as the Lord often does with this girl, He delivered a visual reminder of how offensive not being present can be as I was on the receiving end of feeling like I didn't matter because another person in the room was somewhere else via technology.
Ah....anywhere-elseitis. Yep, made that one up! The chronic problem of being anywhere else but present in the moment. I've done this to countless people, and to the Lord. Allowing distractions that ultimately make me miss the beauty of the moment...and yes, they are fleeting and only here NOW. Today, I am asking the Lord to remind me and cure me of my anywhere-elseitis. I don't want to miss this moment and the spectacular that may be found in it, whether it be a grand exciting event or the blessing of a simple smile.
Galatians 4:20a ~ I desire to be present with you now...
No comments:
Post a Comment