Sunday, June 2, 2013

Remembering Dave

Today the world is a bit less happy because a good one left it.  My friend, Dave Bruning, passed away after a short, but fierce, battle with cancer.  I knew earlier in the week that his time left on earth was coming to a quick end and I know he's free of pain and rejoicing in Heaven as I type this.  While I wouldn't wish his return from paradise to earth, I hurt for his family and those of us who were fortunate to know him.

I first met Dave several years back when he applied for the Maintenance Director at the nursing home where I was the administrator.  We'd had many candidates apply and I interviewed several.  While Dave didn't have the most experience of the lot, there was something about his easy going manner and genuineness that I liked.  I remember praying about filling this position with someone that I knew I could depend upon to take care of all of the maintenance issues that come with a huge physical plant, plus I needed someone who could deal with the precious people placed in our trust.  I had not a clue just how much I was going to be blessed with the answer to that prayer! 

Almost immediately, he began dealing with a situation with a vendor who was not dealing squarely with me and he took them to task!  That was Dave.  He understood my expectations of quality and he delivered consistently.

Dave also had my back.  In all the years that I'd managed nursing homes, never had I felt that I didn't have to worry about maintenance...until Dave.  I have less than zero competency in matters of mechanics and Dave knew that...yet he never ever made me feel stupid.  He'd explain to the level that he knew I needed to make a wise decision.

Dave was worker!  I remember the severe storm of 07 that took out power in our entire town.  The generator was acting crazy and Dave camped out several days at the nursing home making sure it got us through.  At one point we thought it was going to let us down, but he and a couple of the great guys who helped during that storm managed to keep it going.

Dave was so much fun!  He'd started calling me "Boss" early on and that just stuck.  In fact, I had the chance to visit with him a few months back and he walked into my office with that big grin on his face, saying "Hey, Boss!"  While I hadn't been his boss for 3 years at this time, he still treated me with respect.  I can remember when we played softball against another facility and I was the "coach".  I think Dave was a bit leery of my ability to do so until I started changing up players and batting orders and we won the game!  I then became "Coach" for a short while...always appreciated his support.

All of this was special, but none meant as much to me as the man he was to the people we served.  Dave was incredibly kind and respectful of our residents.  Endless hours he spent taking care of everything from air conditioners, to wheel chair repairs, to serving as a waiter for our Putting on the Ritz night, to giving miles worth of rides around the home to the resident who was just too tired to make it back to their room.  He'd help build floats, transport residents to special events outside of the home, and always dressed up for any special days we had.  Now, you may not understand just how important all of this was, but let me tell you...the residents did.  He was a part of their world and they mattered to him.  He was their advocate in many ways.  He was incredibly kind, listening to their stories, their hurts, or to sentences that just didn't quite make sense. 

I remember the day I told him that I was leaving the nursing home for another position in the county.  He was not happy with me and he let me know it in no uncertain terms...and I was touched to the bottom of my heart that I'd made that kind of impression on his life.

Dave Bruning was my co-worker, my protector, my friend and my brother in Christ.  I will miss him.

Thank you Dave for being so good to me...and I know you will be one of the first to greet me when we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment