The wind whipping through the trees at Gibson Woods
Yesterday on my morning walk, I was blessed with a cool breeze to keep the heat and bugs at bay. As I was walking north for my first mile, that wind was at my back, scooting me along at a pretty good pace. I was making good time and got to the turn around point, only to find a fierce, stiff wind blowing h-a-r-d! I couldn't hear my music for the sound of howling wind whipping past my ears. I literally had to lean in and push through it for my mile return home.
As is par for the course, the Lord often speaks to me during these moments of observation. Yesterday was no different. The first take away had me comparing my morning fitness walk to that of my walk with Jesus. There are many times that I feel like I did heading north...the breeze at my back, floating along and happy as can be, just enjoying Jesus and seemingly moving forward at an effortless pace. My time in the word is rich, I am being more obedient to what I am learning and applying it to my life, and I seem to be at peace in my relationships. Then there are the other times when I seem to be buffeted by the winds of resistance...in my quiet time with Him, in my relationships, in my work, and ministry efforts. But what I did notice coming home is that my muscles had to work harder because of the resistance! I got a much better workout and burned more calories because of it. So it is with my spiritual muscles. Those times of trial and resistance are actually opportunities to work my spiritual muscles of recalling God's word, applying it to the situation, deepening my trust that what He says He will do...He will. I found myself listening more intently when the wind was in my face, just as I seem to listen for His leading during those times of spiritual resistance. I simply must lean in and go through. Not easy, but I will tell you from personal experience, it's been worth it every time! Much like my effort to finish yesterday's walk... I had more energy and a sense of really pleasing the Lord with my effort!
The second take away is perspective. I could always want to have that wind at my back, yet it's in those tough moments of resisting and winning that He gets the most glory. Thank you for the wind, Father!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment