Friday, June 19, 2015

8452

8452... the approximate number of days that I have left on this earth if I live to be the average age of 75.  Yep, I've counted them out.  A little over a month ago I heard a message by James MacDonald on the following verse:

Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.


It resonated with me in a deep place in my soul. When I turned 50,  I'd made a pledge to myself to do something greater with the second part of my life than I had the first part.  I don't want to waste time with the futile activities of previous years...worry, stagnation, resignation, hanging on to empty relationships, just to name a few.  I am truly stubborn enough to believe that my best days are yet to be lived.

So, I've numbered them.  I know that if I don't, I will be caught up in the distraction of the urgent instead of the intention of the important.  Last night I was reminded of the necessity of being brutal with distractions.  I've been hosting a women's night on Thursdays to discuss the book The Best Yes  by Lysa TerKeurst. The past three Thursday evenings have been the biggest blessing I've had in a while.   I knew He was calling me to open my home and heart to women who needed to be a part of this gathering.  I knew I had to be obedient because that obedience was connected to that pledge of purpose.  I knew I needed it far more than anyone who would walk through my door.  Oh.so.glad.I.obeyed.  To have women who want to connect with each other in a purpose filled way...well, it makes my heart smile. To have the women I've encountered the past few weeks want to do some serious damage for the Kingdom by seeking Him, His word, and His fellowship with other like minded ladies...excites me beyond measure.  

Last night's discussion perhaps gave me the best clue about how to apply my heart unto wisdom:

Be present.

I can number my days, but the reality is the only thing I have is this moment.  I may get more or less of the 8450 I've counted up.  All He is asking of me is to be acutely aware of the gift of time yet to be present in the here and now.  Not to worry about the future or bemoan the past.  Today.  Spend time with Him to get my direction and daily dose of love.  Be present with Him.  Spend time in intentional relationship with those He's placed in my sphere of influence.  Be present with them.  Listen with intention.  Encourage with grace, truth and love.

My prayer is that you are encouraged today to be present where He has you.


No comments:

Post a Comment