Thursday, July 2, 2015
Taking a deep breath
Sometimes, we all need to pause and take a deep breath. We need to shut down the crazy that can quickly consume us and find True North. I made the mistake of checking Facebook before checking in with God. Oy. I know better. There in the news feed were articles of impending doom, ridiculous 'news' articles about the opinions of people who make me want to shout "Seriously, get over yourself!", and the smattering of passive aggressive posts by people that make a regular habit of doing so. Quickly, I knew that I needed to have face time with my Creator or I was in serious peril of spiraling down into the abyss of worldly nonsense.
I found myself in 1 Samuel 1-2. I love the story of Hannah. I so get her. She is a woman wanting, longing for something from the center of her soul only to be misunderstood by those around her. Yet, she knew the Lord was listening. She had no place to go but to Him. This was only something that He could deliver on. Oh, yes, I get it. I appreciate how when she is finished praying and speaking to Eli that her countenance is no longer sad (1 Sam 1:18). I've experienced the same softening of my features when I've boldly petitioned for those desires that stir deep. When audible words do not come, but that provoking of the spirit assures me that I was heard by the One who cares and Who knows.
Yet, today, it wasn't Hannah's prayer in chapter 1 that caused my heart to skip a beat. It was her worship in 2:2 that captured my attention. It says, " There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God." Simple, grounding truth. As I come through a struggle, this certainty cuts through the feelings, vain imaginations and lies that anyone but the Jesus is Lord and He alone is capable to do that which I cannot. Oh, how in the thick of the unknown do I want to be found in this kind of worship. The world and my life may be chaotic...but He is the rock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment