Friday, January 9, 2009

Cynicism

I hate being cynical. I really would love to have a Pollyanna view of life. To believe the best of a situation or person. But life tells me otherwise. Experience and reality have dealt some blows that have left me doubting that there is good in all. Additionally, the more I study scripture, the more I know evil exists, is rampant in our world and that by nature, we humans are a depraved lot.

This cynicism has been fueled of late by what I see going on in our state. Frankly, I am embarrassed to say I am from Illinois. I have always hated the fact that 3/4 of our state is not represented in Springfield or Washington. I have always hated Chicago politics. But even this is a new low. For those of us who deal with the state on any level, we have long known that our Governor is not a man of character and integrity. Politics has always had a layer of narcissism, but this is beyond that...it's psychotic. But that aside, I think I am more dismayed by the man currently seeking the open Senate seat. Honestly, I have never heard much said about him that has been a mark of poor character or lack of integrity. He, like anyone in position of power, has had his share of enemies I would guess. But nothing that would allude to poor character. So it baffles me as to why this man would chose to put himself, and more importantly, his family, in a position to have that questioned. Even if he proves to be the best senator, acting in the interest of the people, he will always have his legacy tied to an impeached, low life, no character or integrity Governor. That, to me, is selfishness at it worst.

My prayer is that we become a country with people who believe in doing the right thing, even when it's the hardest to do. That we place a premium on morals, ethics, character and integrity. That I lead by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment