Thursday, February 12, 2009

Gems admist the garbage

My pastor has started a new series in the book of Ruth. Last week, he spoke of the circumstances of the book Ruth being a gem in the midst of the garbage of Israel's disobedience. I too am finding gems amidst the garbage of this world. God has given me the blessing of working with the young people of our church. We have a group ranging from junior high through college that meets weekly for music, message and discussion. In just three short weeks, this group has become a gem in my life.

I was praying for several of these students on my way to work, knowing the garbage they deal with on a daily basis and wondering how they manage sometimes. Having come from a very stable, Christian home, I find it exceedingly difficult to wrap my mind around their struggles. Many are dealing with broken homes, unsaved parents, chronic conflict at home/school/relationships, not to mention all the temptations that bombard them from the world. Yet, they are choosing to make the Lord a priority in their lives. They choose to be there every Wednesday night and be a part of the worship, listen to the message, and be a part (some active, some passive) of discussion. They are choosing to allow others to hold them accountable for the way they live their lives. I've witnessed several of them grow in their walk with Jesus, make decisions that many adults wouldn't have the courage to do, and minister to those around them. Don't get me wrong... there are the normal behaviors exhibited by 12-22 year olds... but these people are the real deal. They are God's diamonds in the rough. So, the next time I hear someone say.. "Kid's these days..." I'm going to remind them that there are many more gems dealing with a bunch of garbage than we know and maybe we adults need to reach out, take them under our wing and love them right where they are. It begins with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment