Monday, February 23, 2009

Learning from Saul

This week for UNiTE (our student ministry) we are studying Jonathan as part of our series on young people in the Bible. As I was reading, my mind became fascinated in another character in the text ~ Saul. From earlier in the book of I Samuel, we know that Saul isn't God's favored king and Saul continually makes some foolish choices. In chapter 14 of I Samuel, I'm struck by two seemingly insignificant events that lead to potentially catastrophic consequences. First, in verses 18-19, Saul was seeking the Lord by requesting the ark, but in verse 19 he tells the priest to withdraw his hand from the ark. Saul was so overcome by the noise that the Philistines were making that he chose to move rather than wait to hear what the priest would tell him. Second, in verse 24, Saul has made a vow that any man who ate before evening would be cursed to die. Saul again made a poor choice. He spoke rashly and without regard to the needs of those under his rule. His army was hungry and in need of nourishment as they had expended a great amount of energy in battling the enemy. Additionally, because of this oath, Saul came very close to losing Jonathan to the oath when Jonathan had unwittingly eaten the honey. Further reading in I Samuel shows us that Saul reaped the seeds of dishonesty, disloyalty, and havoc in the lives of his children by the example they witnessed in their father.

These events resonated with me as a leader. I know that as a leader in my career and in ministry, my choices/decisions/words carry much weight. I'm amazed by how many times an 'off the cuff' remark I will make is perceived as 'gospel' to someone I lead. I am an external thinker... I tend to work problems through by thinking them out loud. I've learned that I have to watch with whom I do this as I affect the morale, choices and walk of others. This story shows me the dire consequences of allowing the noise of the world to motivate me to action over the quiet of seeking God's face. It also shows me the disaster that awaits making oaths or vows that are not wisely thought through or benefit only me and not those I lead. I have witnessed countless times an individual crying out to God, making a promise to change, only to fail almost immediately. They failed to count the cost of their vow. Finally, it makes me all too aware of the seeds I am sowing in those I disciple or affect for the kingdom. As was so eloquently pointed out during our women's leadership meeting last week ~ there are younger women watching my life and I need to be aware of what I am teaching them by how I live it.

Heavenly Father, may my words and actions lead others to seek You, to know you deeper. Thank you for your powerful Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment