In the past week, I've heard two 'twenty-somethings' give testimonies about the influence their grandparents and parents had on them and their choice to follow Christ. I'll admit ~ I was jealous of it. They are modern day Timothys with a rich heritage of walking with Jesus. Yes, they each have had to make an individual choice to follow Him, however, they had years of prep and probably have avoided some of the pitfalls of being a new believer just because of the visual witness they had. This started me thinking about my own heritage and the legacy I will leave behind. My relationships with my grandparents was virtually non-existent and most certainly spiritual issues were NEVER a topic of discussion. My parents both got saved when I was in my teens so we kind of grew in Christ at the same time.
Sometimes, I wonder if I haven't made a mistake by choosing not to settle down and have children. When I leave this earth, will there be any evidence that I was here? Did I make an impact for eternity? To answer those questions, I only have to look at the spiritual heritage the Lord did provide for me. Numerous men and women who clearly taught God's word in church, Sunday School, youth group and bible studies throughout my life. Women who have held me accountable for my decisions and behavior over the years were pivotal in my growth. So, all I need to do is draw from their example and pay it forward. When I leave this earth, I don't want to be remembered for being a business woman who ran a nursing home, or sat on various boards throughout the years, or for the things I may have acquired on this earth. No, I want to be remembered for who I am in Jesus. My prayer is that my legacy of building into women's lives will be paid forward by the women I affect. That they too will continue to build into younger women's lives and see them walk with Him. I want the people in my sphere of influence to have experienced Jesus deeper and more fully because of my life. That's a legacy worth having!
Legacy by Sanctus Real
What will they say when I'm gone,
In words that are written in stone?
Under my name, what will they claim about me?
Oh, I want to leave a legacy to be remembered
More than just a memory that fades away
Because we only, we only get one life
Free me, my hands are tied
I'm so tired of wasting time
These endless inventions
Steal my attention from real life
And when its done, when it's over
And will the world see Christ
When they look at my life?
Oh, will the world see?
Mmm, come on, give me, give me, give me real life
And no more, no more, no more wasting time
Because we only, we only get one life.
No comments:
Post a Comment