Monday, August 3, 2009

Belize - Part 2

It's taken some time to sort through all that transpired while I was in Belize and I know that I still haven't digested all of it. There are two issues that have become definitive for me. First, the acknowledgement that less is more. The Lord kept repeating this phrase over and over again to me while I was there. Of course, just the fact that they have 'less' in terms of worldly goods is certainly pronounced. But I was more aware of how they 'needed' less. Small homes, rugged vehicles, not a lot of shiny new things. They were content with what God had provided. Very content. They were joy filled, in fact. Gone was the stress from faces of having everything at their disposal like we do and it was replaced by the absolute knowledge that He provides. And oh the prayers... to say I was humbled by their devotion and authentic heart felt thankfulness to Abba Father would be an understatement. I was actually somewhat ashamed. I know I have taken His provision, graciousness, and blessings for granted... maybe even have felt that it was owed to me for being a 'good christian'. Ouch. This has been an obvious area of needed change for me. When did I become someone who felt life owed me something, let alone the God of the universe? As if the Lord wanted to nail the coffin of my self absorption shut today, in my quiet time in John 3, I read the verse where John is talking of who he is in relation to Christ and he simply states, "He must increase, but I must decrease". Notice the order of the sentence as John clearly understands the order of importance. The believers in Copper Bank seemed to get this and it was evident by how they lived their lives everyday.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment