Yesterday I was driving to work and thinking about some random stuff going on in the lives of those around me, when I began to notice the fog that had developed and thickened the farther north I traveled.
It wasn’t one of those frosty morning kinds of fogs that we experience in the fall when the last remnants of summer are mixing with the chill of autumn and it’s just a layer of low clouds. This was the pea soup variety of fog…dense and incredibly difficult to see any distance before or behind the car. The kind that makes you feel like you are all alone, not sure where you’re headed nor seeing any landmarks to calculate where you’ve been.
I couldn’t help but correlate that with my walk with Jesus. It seems that my life has been that foggy existence off and on for awhile now. Trouble gauging where I’ve been and trouble figuring out which direction to move forward. Small annoyances coupled with some not so small items that clutter my life making it difficult to see…much like the fog. Then, I noticed something. The only thing that kept me moving in the correct direction was the white and yellow lines outlining the correct lane position for my car. That made me think of God’s Word. It’s the only thing that truly keeps me in the proper lane of His will. When I decide to be obedient and surrender my will to His doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness, I find myself worrying less and less about seeing what’s looming in the future. I find that I trust what He says He will do, despite the inability to see clearly through these limited lenses. It’s when I am broken of those self obsessed ways that the fog lifts from my life and I see it with new clarity.
Lord, I thank you for the fog because it deepens my reliance on You and not my own ways.
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
No comments:
Post a Comment