I hate confrontation. Of course, I don't know anyone who really enjoys it. I hate having to humble myself and 'come clean' with bad attitudes or selfish motives. But oh do I love the outcome...the other side.
This past week I had two such incidents ~ one that I initiated and one I didn't. Both involve believers who are very dear to me and bring a depth to my walk that I covet. What I loved about the difficulty of this time spent with both of them was the common bond I find when believers who want to truly please the Lord have when dealing with problems. The ministry of reconciliation. In both instances, all parties involved did what is commanded in James...we were quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger. We all really listened to what the other was saying. We respected the convictions the other held. We all realized that being right with the Lord was more important than holding onto any 'rights' we may think is owed us. It was humbling, to say the least. It was tough knowing I had caused heartache in someone that I love. It was hard to shed tears and be vulnerable. Yet, it was beyond worth all of those feelings I felt. My respect for all involved deepened in a way that just would not have happened in any other manner. I got to see one brother hold tight to convictions when I disagreed... and I deeply respect and honor a man who has the courage to stand for what he believes in! Because the Lord allowed us the chance to go through this trying time, my friend probably will never know the depths I will now go to defend his reputation. In the other instance, a brother spoke to me about the distance between his wife and I and how because she was hurt, he was angry. He apologized for his anger towards me, but his leadership in dealing with the situation was the precipitant needed for the two of us women to get right with each other. (p.s. I may be a 1950's woman at heart, but I LOVE the fact that he loves his wife so much that he will do what it takes to help her grow...both in leading by example and wanting to be her protector ~ woohooo!!)
Now sitting on the other side of those scenarios, I see my Awesome Savior's fingerprints all over them... the breaking of wills, the growth in all of us over the years that needed to take place, and the resulting joy of knowing that while difficulties came, we worked through them to bring Him glory. I'm not here to say that this is always the way it works because, if we are honest, we don't always want reconciliation. Sometimes we just want to be right, or we want to wallow in self pity, or we don't want to humble ourselves...the excuses are many but the reason is the same ~ we don't want what God wants.
Thank you, Father, for breaking me, humbling me, and allowing me to see this the way You do. Thank you for amazing brothers and sisters who are like minded and love You more than themselves!
No comments:
Post a Comment