Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Flowers of Friendship

YES! YES! YES! Spring is finally starting to eek her way out of the winter slumber and grace us with her periodic warm breezes and sunny days. Today I was able to come home and head straight for the flower bed that adorns the front of my house. I found it an utter mess, but was determined to clear it of it's clutter so that the tender green shoots could breathe the fresh air. As I was working the earth, I started to think about the various kinds of flowers that would array that garden throughout the summer, and my mind wandered into thinking how those flowers remind me of my friendships.

The first plant to be uncovered was my beloved poppy clump. Now, I love the fiery, orange blooms that burst on the scene in late spring. They are airy, carefree, and short-lived. While I enjoy these flowers, they are the most high maintenance plant in the bed! I have to be very gentle when clearing the area around them, being very, very careful not to damage their shallow roots. Due to their many needs and my short attention span, there is only one plant in the entire bed. Same with "poppy friendships". They often can be beautiful for a short time, but lose their luster and my interest quickly. I am way too hard on them and often find myself tromping on the shallow roots.

The next flowers I unearth are what I call the 'butterfly bunch' - purple cone flowers, Shasta daisies and black eyed susans. This grouping of flowers are a hearty bunch. They have strong stalks, rough leaves, and plain flowers. They look great for about two days, then start to look a bit ragged. However, on closer inspection, these lovely girls are probably the most purposeful in the garden. They are the feeders. All summer long, they languish so that the delicate butterflies and buzzy bees that swarm my yard can get nourishment, then when the crisp fall and winter winds blow in, the birds can find the sustenance they need from the seed heads that sit atop those sturdy stalks. These remind me of the lion's share of my friendships. They are strong,nothing really showy about them, but they provide me with a sustenance that I require. They bring a purpose to my life, whether great or small...but a purpose that I cannot live without.

Finally, are my absolute favorites: lilies. I am a HUGE fan of the low maintenance beauties, whether it be hosta, day, Asiatic, oriental, or tiger varieties, you will find these in abundance in my yard. They bloom where they are planted, and reproduce themselves with great gusto. They have the most gorgeous flowers and you will find them stretching up to the sun in worship. They require little maintenance and survive the most extremes of circumstances, including rough handling by the gardener. These are my inner circle. They are the women (and men!) who love Jesus with everything in them and every aspect of their lives show it. Regardless of what life throws them, they anchor down deep roots in Him and His word and the result is the most fragrant, gorgeous life you've ever witnessed! These are the friends that I can make mistakes with and they still shower me with kindness. I can be a bit rough, and their roots are so deep in Christ that they are forgiving. And they lift their lives up to the Son in worship in a way that causes me to do the same. Spectacular!

My prayer is that I am very rarely a poppy, more often a nourisher, and most definitely a lily in the flowerbeds of friendship! Hugs ~

No comments:

Post a Comment