So neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. I Corinthians 3:7
The past 8 days have been something of a marathon. It started last Saturday when the Lord allowed me the opportunity to speak to a group of women at a retreat, then progressed throughout the week of sharing faith or growth moments with others in a variety of venues, and culminated in getting to personally witness a woman take a step of faith and trust Christ as her personal Savior. I can honestly say that not many weeks are like this one, and as I sit here on Sunday night I wonder why? Why shouldn't every week feel like this one? My conclusion: perspective.
I have been reading the wonderful book by Anne Graham Lotz entitled The Magnificent Obsession. This is a recounting of the life of Abraham and there are so many morsels that I have had to put it down, digest them for a few days, and then pick it back up and work through the next bits. A couple of weeks ago, I read a paragraph that really refocused my perspective. In this particular part of the story, Abraham had charged his servant with the ultimate task: finding a wife for Issac so that Abraham could pass everything on to his beloved son. The question from the servant was what would happen should the woman refuse to accept his offer, and Abraham told him that he would be released from the oath. Lotz tells a truth that I had long known, but had allowed myself to forget. She states,"Likewise, God has never commanded you and me to be successful in actually leading someone to faith in Christ. He only commands us to be faithful to represent Him to the best of our ability."
That truth spelled out in the verse for today allows me to keep my wits about me when I am preparing a message, sharing a growth lesson with another, or personally sharing Jesus with someone who doesn't know Him. God has a responsibility for me and one that is His alone. My words may plant a seed, or they may water a seed already planted, or I may get to be present when that new life bursts forth, but that new life is always, always, always between Him and that individual. That fact alone takes a tremendous amount of pressure off of my desire to control every aspect. Sometimes my words may be the first someone has heard of Jesus, sometimes they may be the 100th, yet no visible fruit. Sometimes my prayers may be helping the foundation of understanding strengthen, sometimes they may be that breakthrough that paves the way to usher the new life in. But never is it all about me. I think that perspective is going to increase my realization that every day can be a Woo Hoo kind of day!
Father, thank you for not needing me, but wanting me involved in your work.
Word!!!! So true Carla , thanks for sharing! We have been talking about this same subject at church lately. I was thinking the other day about the powers that Jesus gave his disciples , the power to heal, raise the dead and so on.... but even they were just to "represent", only our King can change the hearts of depraved man to surrender themselves to HIM! Keep up the good work, you "represent" very well =)
ReplyDelete