Sunday, May 29, 2011
The Unsettling ~ Part II
What a whirlwind the past 3 days have been. Much has happened and here are a few highlights that I want to remember....
1. There are some amazingly generous people in this world.
I've listened to story upon story of people giving to the effort to see that these people get back on their feet....and getting introduced to Jesus. People have donated money to local churches in Joplin that are feeding hundreds of volunteers every day, people have donated to various service organizations, people have went there to help others remove debris and sift through their belongings to help put their lives back together. People have prayed and shared Jesus's amazing grace and salvation with those needing something to hold tight to because they discovered the truth...there is NO security in this world. Locally, I have seen people go and help, organize supply drives to get stuff to the front line, and pray, pray, pray for those suffering the after effects. Personally, I have to thank the following for giving because they bolstered my faith and we got to share in the blessing: Sherri Ault, Sue Hiscocks, Diane Nelson, Molly Joseph, Bonnie Cozadd, Kelli Ewing, Bill and Caroline Ault, Kim Anderson, Tammy and Frank Parrish...through your generosity, this small band of people sent over $500 worth of much needed supplies. You people rock!
2. I don't always understand God's plans, but I trust His leading.
This has been a difficult one for me this past week. I really, really wanted to go there. But He said no. I don't know why, but He did so I stayed in Monmouth. I am starting to wonder about a few reasons, but have decided that I don't need to know. He said no, and that settles the matter for me.
3. My heart can still break for the hurting.
Yup, I was becoming a bit too course and hard hearted towards the suffering of others. I hated it, but I was more than a bit jaded. It seems I've been witnessing a lot of drama, hurt, and pain that just seemed unnecessary and pointless because it was caused largely by poor choices. I was becoming so utterly ticked off (that's putting it mildly!!!) at what seemed like an epidemic. As stated in my previous blog, my heart was wonderfully broken for those hurting so deeply through this tragedy. I still find my self weeping when sharing one of those stories. I still pray for those working in that hospital that was completely demolished. I know all too well how much those nurses, social workers, CNAs, administration, housekeeping, maintenance, dietary, doctors, etc. that worked there care about the people they took care of and can only begin to imagine how horrifying that whole situation must have been. Yet, they didn't have a moment to process it all because they then had to get those ill folks to another place to get them the immediate care many needed. Some died because of power outages. I pray for those courageous care givers.
4. What a wonderful feeling to help someone who will never know me.
A dear friend said I inspired him through this. While I appreciate such a sweet comment, I really did nothing extraordinary. My sister, Kelli, said a most profoundly true statement as we were organizing the goods. She said, "Ya know, it's cool to know that my hands are putting together stuff that will touch hands of people who really, really need it." So true. I still believe there is so much more that can be done, and I will continue to pray as to how He wants me to proceed. I want this to be about the help THEY need and that the truth that only Christ brings the security needed.
5. There is just no going back to life as usual....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment