The true test of a person’s spiritual life and character is not what he does in the extraordinary moments of life, but what he does during the ordinary times when there is nothing tremendous or exciting happening. A person’s worth is revealed in his attitude toward the ordinary things of life when he is not under the spotlight. ~Oswald Chambers
I have a love/hate relationship with Oswald Chambers....love his ability to drill down to the heart of an issue and hate how often it convicts me. However, this morning, there was a joy and love for this because I realized victory is happening in my life!
This past week I had a sort of epiphany, if you will...an overwhelming sense from my Maker that I am right in the midst of where He wants me to be. It reminded me of the feeling I got when I was about 6 and we would go swimming at Grammer's lake. There was this HUGE cliff that the big kids would run and jump off of and into the strip mine lake below. I can remember walking to the edge umpteen times to look at how far down I'd drop before hitting the water. I would returned back to the starting point, run towards the edge only to stop before having to step off. Through prodding of my Dad, I finally got the courage to jump. That free fall was scary, exhilarating, and awesome all at the same time!
I used to live my life in the wait and wanting of the extraordinary moments. I wasted too much time waiting for the next big thing (which never seemed to materialize!) or for the Lord to make some magnanimous move that would change the trajectory of my life. I was so busy waiting and watching(walking just up to the edge of giving Him all of my life), that I missed what was right in front of my face: the life He has for me and is walking with me( the free fall into trust). So today, I recounted some ordinary things in the past few months that were evidences of His character taking root and growing in me...humbling myself and asking forgiveness from someone I'd hurt with sharp words and a bad attitude, allowing myself to be vulnerable in a couple of relationships where that is hard (read nearly impossible!) to do because He wanted me to for His glory, praying for fellow believers on BOTH sides of a conflict instead of taking sides and fanning the flames of strife among the brethren, loving someone who can be unlovable, taking steps of obedience to conviction on my finances, praying for His will in a matter and truly placing my desires aside. All small and perhaps ordinary, but infinitely significant in God's view.
No comments:
Post a Comment