Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2011 in the Rearview Mirror

Another year is quickly coming to a close, and as has been my tradition, here is my random list of highlights of the year...

* Family 
This year brought a new member into the Ewing family.  Much excitement and anticipation was experienced as we welcomed Miss Olivia Grace into the fold on June 29.  It has been a delight to watch her grow, see her personality develop, listen to her chatter, and celebrate a first Christmas with her!  It's also been sweet to watch her Momma grow in her parenting of her daughter.  Livi joins her cousins Logan and Rileigh in stealing their Aunt Carla's heart.  I would move heaven and earth for those three!  On another note, while we have experienced some difficulties along the way, this family continues to be relatively healthy, happy and close knit!

* Travel :
I didn't do as much travel this year, but the highlight trip was a week in Florida in January to cruise to the Bahamas with Hush and Lo companions, Kathy and Gail.  It was cold, but we had a great time...and what happens in Florida, stays in Florida, right, girls! ;)

* Reads:
My favorite non Bible reads this year finds the top spot with a tie.  First, Weird by Craig Groeschel was a fun read that sparked subtle change in my life. The second was a bit more intense. Necessary Endings by Dr. Henry Cloud was a great, but difficult read for me.  No, the book isn't difficult in itself, but the necessity for some endings in my life made it hard.  I struggle with that a lot and this book, while business in nature, certainly played across all areas of life. I recommend both of them for your 2012 must read list.

My favorite Bible reading this year has been Leviticus and  Deuteronomy...they both rocked my world because I finally see just how serious the Lord views sin...and how holy He is.  I am always amazed at how He reveals issues to me in the time that I can accept it, learn from it, and change.  Read these books several times, but now I was ready to learn from them.

*Ministry Moment:
Another tie: First: being asked to speak at a women's retreat in the spring.  The reason for all of the growing pains I had been enduring became crystal clear when I was asked to speak at a church in the town I work.  That process brought me closer to my Savior in ways I cannot explain.  It was just plain awesome!

Second: praying for and actually being present when my friend, Nicole, surrendered her life to Christ.  I wept like a baby...FANTASTIC!


Dumbest/Funniest Thing
That would have to be the time I was picked up in the egg aisle at Wal-mart.  Dumb because I actually ended up giving the guy my number and immediately regretted it.   It was also the funniest because of the reaction of my friends...oh did they have a heyday with this one!  One of my favorite reactions:  Jen B. telling me I was going to end up being  the subject of a 48 hours Mystery or a Lifetime Movie!  Lesson learned:  It's highly improbable that one will find true love (or remote like) at Wal-mart....

Personal Accomplishment:
Working hard to get my personal finances in order.  By God's grace, a good job, my Dad holding me accountable and Dave Ramsey's course, I will be debt free, with the exception of my house by Feb of 2012! 

What about 2012?
It is with an open hand, heart and desire that I will let the Lord lead...I look forward to: our annual women's retreat, an Alaskan cruise, activities with the family and friends, changes in me through some personal development plans, learning to be a bit more vulnerable and a lot less cynical, starting my Master's program in Counseling, and the surprises that the Lord has in store! 

Not looking forward to the 2012 election...I love my country, I believe in the freedoms and constitution, and I know God is in ultimate control...and yet, I hate the character-less choices I have in voting for those who should be serving our country, instead they are running it...right into the ground with their selfishness, pride and greed.  The lesson learned: never put your hope in man. Only THE Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment