Thursday, February 2, 2012
2/3/12 - Hands
I knew just what I was going to post when I saw this word for today. Mom has been at the receiving end of her children's comments about the, shall we say, exceptional size of her hands and feet. As she reminds us, she is fearfully (so true...just have one of those hands hit your hinder parts!) and wonderfully made and her hands are a part of that! We comment because if you look at my parents hands, one has to wonder where the dwarf like hands of my sister and I fall on the DNA chain. The other two have normal size hands, so we are just plain perplexed.
All kidding aside, there is more to the hand you see in the picture. Those hands have given much in the 70+ years they've been around. I want to take today's blog and honor the woman that those hands belong to. First, those are the hands of one of the hardest workers you will ever meet. Mom has an amazing work ethic and is always busy doing something. She was diligent in training her children that work was a good thing and (chant it with me Ewing siblings!) "If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing the right way the first time!" Second, those hands belong to one who values and practices loyalty...with a vengeance! This is a trait I've always admired in Mom. She is loyal to a fault. We often laugh that she can crack on one of us, but Lord help the soul who says a word about her husband, kids, and definitely her grand kids! If you've never seen a momma bear go after her cubs in the wild, save yourself a trip and tread on Hez's family...but don't say I didn't warn you! Third, those hands have held one man's hand for almost 56 years. My parents marriage is a source of joy and, I admit, pride for me. I am very proud of the relationship my folks have. It gives me a lot of hope. They would admit it hasn't always been easy, but at the end of the day, I know beyond any doubt, they will say it was worth any bad time. Fourth, those hands have provided a lot of training to 4 children, 3 grandchildren and a host of their friends over the years. From teaching us how to cook to how to change a tire (yes, Dad, I am outing her...she taught me how to do that one time!), they have been an important part of shaping who we have become. They've certainly been part of the rod of correction when attached to a flip flop that met up with our backsides on occasion! Fifth, those hands have been folded together in prayer many, many times. Circumstances in any family can bring people to their knees, and ours was certainly no different. So often, Mom would immediately turn to pray and lead us in the same. Finally, those hands have been the tools for encouragement whether it be cheering us on, patting us on the back, playing 'last hits', tossing a tomato at Jen's car window, writing notes, or hugging.
Today, I thank God for my Mom. She's one in a million and I love her very much!
P.S. Ask her about how those hands shot a skunk one time.... :D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment