As I was looking for a picture, the above was the one that I feel most captures my spirit. Lots of laugh lines around the eyes (which is my favorite feature), very casual and smiling. Comfortable in my own skin. Boy, has it taken a long (perhaps too long!) time getting there.
For years I allowed the labels others gave me to define what I thought of myself. They ran the gamut: loving, mean, kind, selfish, ugly, beautiful, fat, assertive, aggressive, shy, responsible, quiet, considerate, rude, giving, helpful, encouraging, not enough, too much, carnal, too religious, too serious, juvenile, settling, not living up to potential, the golden child, gifted, smart, Pollyanna, cute, funny, weak, strong...and the list goes on.
God gave me a gift many years ago of seeing some truth that has stuck with me in those times when I start to allow the world an opinion of who I am. He showed me that all too often when someone wants to change me, it's really something in themselves that they want to change. I have honestly never wanted to be someone else. Yes, there are attributes about people that I have wanted to have, but to actually be someone else never crossed my mind. I like me. I like the way the Lord has fashioned me, the family He placed me in, the life he has given me and I like that He is constantly working to refine me into a better me! Yes, there are things I'd like to change, but I will not allow that to dictate defining me. Mercy Me has a song that perfectly says what I want my life to be known for:

No comments:
Post a Comment