Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day Nine - Front Door

This picture thing has been a challenge and I am glad my friend, Missy, threw it out there...makes me think!  I thought about several front doors I could have taken pictures of, but the winner was the front door to my house...specifically the one that leads into my living room.

I just realized that I have lived in this house longer than any other place in my entire life.  How it came about that I became a homeowner was such a blessing in itself.  My home was actually the home of a very wonderful couple that I count as surrogate grandparents in my life.  They were so good to sell the homestead for a price that helped two struggling women achieve the 'American Dream' - owning a home and land.  With that in mind, my roommate and I decided that we would 'pay it forward' and we dedicated this home as a place where God gets priority and people get respite and healing.  We have seen many, many people walk through those doors.  Sometimes they have been celebratory occasions with lots of laughter.  Sometimes they have been gut wrenching moments of pain and grief.  We've had college students live with us and I pray that they saw Jesus a bit clearer by our lives.  We've had complete strangers stay and by the weeks end, we were friends.  We've had moms who needed a night out come over and craft, watch a movie, or just talk.  We've held slumber parties for various young people, and held a bridal shower for a girl we barely knew who is now counted among a dear and cherished friend.  We've done some odd stuff as well...the strangest being we cooked breakfast for a group of men for a bachelor party!  That one always makes me laugh!

When we remodeled the area that the front door opens to, we held a blessings party and invited a bunch of people over.  Before the floor was laid, we had everyone write their favorite verse and sign their names on the concrete floor.  I recently pulled some pictures out of that event and my heart was so touched by what I have seen the Lord do over the years.  He has blessed me beyond measure and I pray that my home will bless others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment