And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul. Psalm 106:15
I have to confess that I get excited when a verse leaps off the page and smack into the middle of my life, as Psalm 106:15 did today. I have read the book of Psalms more than a few times and do not ever recall even reading this verse. God's like that...always delivering either when I need it, or as in today's case, when I can fully grasp the teaching because I've been there.
The backdrop to this verse is the psalmist talking about God's mercy in light of Israel's sinning. The Lord had been so gracious to Israel, saving them from their enemies, performing miracles to show them just how precious they are to Him, and forgiving them repeatedly for their sin of living life on their own terms and contrary to His plan.
Oh, how I can relate to them. Far too often, I have decided to chart my own course in a situation, at best throwing up a prayer, or at worst, forging ahead and then whining to Him about the outcome. And like He did for Israel, He gave me my request. Yep, gave me exactly what I asked for, even though it wasn't His best for me. And then came the leanness into my soul. Strong's concordance describes this leanness as "less than it ought to be". Frankly, it is one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced...far worse than the conviction of sin. It's empty and lonely. It made me feel a sadness to the depths of which I'd never experienced. It was awful. I am certain that it is equally as difficult for Jesus to have watched me endure that time in my life. He kept saying wait, but I wouldn't. He kept trying to tell me through His word and counsel of godly men and women that the result was not going to be good. Still, I resisted, insisting that I knew what was best. I was so foolish.
So how about you? Is there something you are asking for or pursuing that you know He isn't on board with or is asking you to wait on? Please listen to Him. Don't be the fool that I was!
Today, I am so thankful for this verse! It explains so much to me, it comforts me, it reminds me and encourages me to continue to counsel others to avoid this result. Father, thank you!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment