Friday, October 18, 2013

Fantasy Friday

Today's challenge is to get creative for Fantasy Friday.  Frankly, my creative juices are not flowing well today and I couldn't come up with anything spectacular.  So I decided to write about the 5 people I'd most like to meet, dead or alive, and why. It was a lot more difficult than I anticipated!!  Here goes...

1.  Ona Johnson....yeah, unless you are related to me, you probably have never heard of this person.  She was my Dad's mom.  I never knew her as she passed when my dad was in his late teens.  All I know of her comes directly from my Dad retelling stories about her.  I have gathered that Dad was the apple of her eye as he was her only boy.  Pictures of her remind me of my Aunt Mable, who spoiled me rotten, so I believe in my heart that my Grandma probably would have done the same.  That's something that has always been a big hole in my life....good relationships with grandparents. That's may be part of why working with the elderly was a natural fit for me...instagrandparents.  I also understand that my Grandma love the Lord...so I hope that I carry on a legacy well. Some day, I know we will meet! ;) I'd just say thanks for raising my Dad to be a great one and spend the rest of the time hugging her!

2. Coach Tom Landry....best coach in the NFL, in my humble opinion.  Now, I am sure that there are a lot of football experts that might disagree, but this is my blog, so I have literary and opinion license.  Mr. Landry was a class act and a man that I respected for the character he displayed in his life.  So many men in the world of football could learn by his example. It was the team with Landry as coach, Roger Staubach as QB, and Tony Dorsett, running back, that started my life long enjoyment of football in general and the Dallas Cowboys in particular.  Yes, I remember the game where Dorsett broke the record for a 99 yd TD run. Yes, I am probably a freak because I do remember that!  I'd simply say thank you for being a man of character and godliness. I'd ask many questions about leadership.  

3. Deborah...judge of the Israelites.  She goes down as one of my favorite biblical women of all time.  She just rocked at being God's girl, was unique on many fronts, and had the courage of her convictions to stand up for the right thing. I want to be that kind of woman. I am not sure what I'd say to her, except that I am grateful for her story and it's impact on my life.  Bet she'd give God the glory....

4. George W. Bush ...43rd US President.  While I think the media has crucified this man and judged him prematurely, truth and time walk hand in hand.  I believe history will reveal much about the depth of character of W.  I also believe he has already begun to show integrity by the way he has chosen to live his post presidency life.  He never was a media hound like Clinton , and he has quietly went about the business of doing right with the blessings he's been given.  I remember exactly how I and many other Americans felt on September 11th.  I witnessed personally how reactionary those of us in the Midwest were with gas lines, staff members asking me to pray daily for us over the PA system, and the shocking constant replay of planes hitting buildings and those buildings falling.  I also remember a brave man, flanked by other brave men, standing at the site, encouraging the nation to pull together.  And we did.  I remember feeling safe knowing that he was in charge.  I also remember some of the most volatile, liberal talking heads of the day praising him for his leadership, only to bash him when the dust settled in Manhattan.  I think the recent event of chemical  warfare in Syria proves two things: He was right about WMDs in that region (yes, I am aware that Syria isn't Iraq...but evil isn't constrained by borders!) and if he were still in leadership, we wouldn't be wasting our time with bogus red line rhetoric that absolutely NO ONE believes.  Mr. Bush always took the responsibility for decisions made in his administration and gave credit to others for the good that was accomplished.  Benghazi is evidence enough that character doesn't count anymore. Mr. Bush isn't a perfect man and many laid unrealistic expectations on him....but anyone who claims Christ as their Savior knows how that works.  I just want to shake his hand, tell him how much I respect him and thank him for doing the right thing, hard as it may have been. 

5.  Mark Wahlberg....actor, formerly known as Marky Mark.  No explanation needed. :) 


I know, I know...#5 shows that the Lord still has a work to do in me.  Happy Friday all!



No comments:

Post a Comment