Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day One of Fast

I'd decided after some prayer and meditation that I was going to try to do a 5 day partial fast prior to the annual women's retreat that my church hosts.  There were several reasons why.  First, I wanted to seek the Lord in a different way up to the weekend.  I want Him to speak to me, guide me, and have my will in sync with His.  I know I can do that without fasting, but there is something about fasting that takes it to another level for me.  Second, I wanted, even if only temporarily, a break from the stronghold that food has on me. I.HATE.IT! I hate that I can never seem to have lasting power of that area of my life.  I needed to go into the weekend with a bit of victory, knowing that He can and will sustain me in every weakness. Finally, I wanted some intense detox of my body.  I have felt like crap, to put it mildly, and maybe this will help.

So, day one has come and gone and what's the insight?  Well, be careful what you wish for!  The Detox began almost immediately.  My flesh is revolting against this ghastly thing I am doing to it...teehee! I love it!  While I didn't love the worst leg cramp I have EVER experienced that caused my ankle to seize up, my toes to turn upwards and not release, and made me walk around the house looking like an idiot trying to get it to stop, it finally did.  I had the worst craving for a Big Mac yesterday...and I really am not a McDonald's fan.  Then there is the water.  Oh.my.lanta.  I so dislike water.  I like my diet coke and coffee.  I like my iced tea.  I do no like water.  But guess what? I am into day two and am craving it.  Who knew??

This fast is fruit, veggie, legume, and whole grains only. No flour, sugar, breads, meats, dairy, artificial anything... Yes, it could be a lot worse. The oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast was pretty stinkin' great!  I am digging the brown rice with hot sauce in it that I am eating for lunch.  You know what else?  The stomach/gall bladder problems seem to have settled.  I do find I am physically tired, but I know that's just my body trying to adjust to getting rid of all the junk that is in it.

The stronghold issue is going to take more than one day, but interestingly, the Lord and I seem to be having some serious conversations about it unlike ever before.  Instead of avoiding it, or planting my mind on psychotic goal setting that was unrealistic, I've just taken the issue to Him as it arises, asking Him to help me in the next scenario.

Spiritually, it's already been a winner. I can't explain it, but I seem to have better clarity.  My prayers are more focused, deeper, more raw and honest than usual.  I am picking up on nuances in Scripture that I hadn't.  Yes, there are also moments that I am completely fried mentally from the fatigue of the detox, but I know He will dole out the measure of grace I need and help me through.

On to day two....

No comments:

Post a Comment