The first day of the new year didn't start off with a bang...but rather just seemed to putter along saying, "This is going to be like any other day".
But that's a lie. Today was different because of some purposeful decisions on my part, and Jesus showing up and doing what only He can do.
First decision...to start a new daily in the word reading plan. My friend Lara talked to me about a reading plan and lead me to one that divides the Word into 7 categories and mixes up where I am reading each day. Right out of the gate, my OCD tendencies (ok, maybe legalistic is a better word!) flared up and I was feeling this was just a little 'wrong' , but the truth squelched those fears as soon as I finished the assigned reading in Romans today.
First view of His presence....while reading in Romans, He answered some questions that I have been peppering Him with for the past few weeks...questions of fairness, justice, and judging. He reassured me that He has it under control and that the Holy Spirit is quite capable of doing His job without the assistance of Carla, thank you very much. For the finishing touch, He reminded me of the hypocrisy that often befalls someone who wants to teach God's word by asking a simple question...am I living it? O-U-C-H.
Second decision ... I want to limit the time I spend on social media because honestly it's not been great for my soul. It's too easy to read emotion into something not intended to be that way, or to be nosy in things that I really have no need of knowing even if it's splattered all over my news feed or worse yet, to see the passive aggressive posts that frankly piss me off and then convict me because I know that could be me in a heartbeat. Just this past week I had a sweet friend that would NEVER (yes, she is that kind!) intentionally hurt a soul get beat up through one such post. No going to to her get her side of the story and reconciling like adults...nope, let's attack via status posts and bring another into the fray to top it off. Ugh. So, today I have purposely logged out of Facebook on my phone so that I am not getting the updates regularly. I will admit that my random times of going cold turkey have been a bit easier, but I am trying to figure out how to use social media in a healthy way.
Second view of His presence.... one of the times that I was on FB, I was checking out what friends had been doing for the new year and found out that someone had unfriended me. Must have been their new year's decision for their soul. I will admit that this move didn't really surprise me. There has been no relationship for several months. What did surprise me was that I wasn't hurt or angry by the move...but rather I immediately prayed for her. I prayed that whatever the reason she felt to do this to me and others, that He would heal that hurt. I prayed that the bitterness that will take root if we allow it would not be present for any of us. That's Jesus...because that isn't the normal Carla. My first line of defense is usually to go on the offense. To figure it out, to fix it, to make it look pretty, to get back, to hold onto hurt. Not today. I am so thankful for His leading in this response...and so surprised that I followed! One of those small choices that will lead to big changes, me thinks!
I am going to take these small choices and big interventions and chalk the first day of 2014 up as a really good one! I know if I keep after it, I will reap well.
No comments:
Post a Comment