Yesterday, I got "pumpkined"! I got a phone call from the roomie asking me if I had decorated the front of the house with pumpkins. I said no and she went on to explain that there were pumpkins galore adorning the porch and sidewalk. I drove up to find a harvest display welcoming fall.
While the display was sweet, that wasn't the most wonderful thing about this random act of kindness. It was the fact that one of my wonderful friends surprised us with a lovely offering of blessing. That someone thought about us and then acted on those thoughts. Our home has been filled with stress and illness for the past several weeks and we just haven't had the time nor energy to get extra things done. Honestly, the best part of the whole experience was hearing the joy in Sherri's voice when she called to ask. She has not felt well for a while and that one seemingly random act brightened her day immensely! Yeah, that's the kind of people I have the privilege of having in my life. So.stinkin.thankful!
The Lord has been challenging me to find things in the ordinary to be thankful for on a daily basis. Let's face it, most of life isn't the big events or moments. Yes, those are fantastic, but they are so rare that we could go years of thinking we have nothing for which to be grateful and miss out on the really special moments. For example...
Yesterday's sky was empty of any clouds and it was 360 degrees of nothing but brilliant blue. So beautiful. I was so enthralled with His creation as I stood outside and just looked up.
One of my sweet friends sent a text picture of her snuggling with her daughter, knowing that she had papers to grade and tests to create. Yet she gets that she only will have these moments now and they will soon pass, so she chose the better thing. Thankful for moms who get it.
Perusing through old journals filled with difficult moments and seeing just how faithful Jesus has been to me, has grown me through trials, loved me deeply when I was a hot mess, and deepened my trust in His plan for my life.
The instant message from my mentor saying she is praying for me when she has no idea just how much I needed it at that moment....but He did and sent someone to be His hands and feet.
The new believer who shares his faith with someone who has been on this path for sometime and who's first love has waned a bit. Little does he know how much his grateful passion was just the kindling that my tired heart needed. Gave me hope in a dry season.
The laughter of a life long friend as we sit eating the best slice of pizza and remember all of the wonderfully fun times we've had as we plan for more.
Jackie, the pumpkin decorator, has given me the idea to pay it forward. To see who I can bless, to let them know that I am thinking about them and acting on it. How about you? Is there someone you can bless? Or maybe the Lord is challenging you to refocus and see just how much you have to be grateful for everyday? Trust me, you will never be the same. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment