I've been spending time doing something I rarely do...looking back. I'd decided many years ago to not live in the past, with some modicum of success. But, as I age and hopefully grow wiser, I've found that it's not always bad to be reminded from where I've come. So, this is a list of lessons I've learned (or re-learned because I am slow) this year... in no random order of importance for numbers 10-2!
10. Good or Bad, Family will always be family: These past few years have been somewhat stress filled for me where my family is concerned. Chalk it up to growing pains or whatever, we haven't always had the "Leave it to Beaver" moments. However, the eight other Ewings that comprise my immediate family are part of the very fabric of whom I have become. They will always be a very important core element to my life and I love each of them very much.
9. I am only responsible for my response to a situation: I've spent way too much time worrying about what others think instead of being authentic and honest. That is changing. I want to be real, live by the mantra of speaking kindly, truthfully and what is necessary, plus trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. Beyond that, their response is on them and they have to answer for it, not me. That, my friends, is called true freedom.
8. Loving others is often painful, but always worth it: This has been a particularly difficult lesson to learn this year. However, I am thankful in and for the pain that loving another person has caused. I've become a better Carla because of it, and I know eternity will be brighter in some way.
7. Being single is better than okay: I could spend some time here, but in a nutshell, I've come to embrace my singleness a little bit more this year. Does it mean I don't want to get married? No. It means I want to wait for the best situation/person. I've seen some pretty miserable marriages and frankly, I am thankful that I've not had to endure that. God knows me better than I know myself so I'll wait on His timing and leading. In the mean time, the single gig is pretty good!
6. Never believe all the good or bad press about yourself: The opinions of others are a moving target. Only invest in the opinions of those who count... those who know you.
5. Always, always, always have at least one person in your life who tells you what you need to hear ~ whether you want to hear it or not: I have grown only because the Lord and a select few people in my life tell me the way it "really is"... always kindly and in love, but honestly.
4. Be consistent: I think character and credibility are unachievable without consistency. People who mess up on occasion are often able to maintain their character and credibility because they are known to be consistent, not perfect.
3. Give people the benefit of the doubt: I've made way too many mistakes by jumping to conclusions and assuming that I know the heart motive behind some one's actions. I'm not God, therefore, I can't know why people do crazy, seemingly weird things. I have to trust that their intent wasn't to do harm, and if it was, God will take care of them.
2. If I allow it, God will dazzle me: This has been the most surprising lesson thus far. God dazzles me with the small things. I too often am looking for the big bang, but have found this year that the joy truly comes in the small. I have to allow Him to show it to me.
And the top lesson I've learned this year...drum roll please....
1. I am loved: Now you may think this is odd, but I've really had to let God move into places in the past year (see#2) to make necessary changes so that I can see His love for me. As I started 2008, in my head I knew (and I believe in my heart I somewhat knew) He loved me, but throughout this year, He has shown me in innumerable ways that His love is real. What joy and profound peace that brings in a world that is so poor in both. Whether life is good or bad, happy or sad, I am loved by the Creator of the universe. Nothing or no one can change that. Wow.
with all that said....the years ahead are only going to get better because of those lessons learned!
ReplyDelete