Discipline: a branch of learning or knowledge, formal training, self control, acceptance of authority.
It seems that with the onset of a new year, this word plays around in my mind more than usual. Yesterday during worship, we sang a song with lyrics "I give you my heart, my mind, my strength, my soul." I struggled singing those words with true conviction. Yes, Jesus has my heart, He alone is my true strength, and I do trust His death, burial and resurrection for the salvation of my soul. Ah, but my mind. Honestly, I battle that front constantly. I find myself "allowing" my mind to travel to places that are not the healthiest for my spiritual well being. I heard a speaker talking about the issue of discipline this morning. He stated that it is a fruit of a walk with the Lord. Ouch. I have made excuse upon excuse for my lack of delaying immediate gratification for a future reward that will far surpass the here and now. Whether it's exercise, food, shopping, studying scripture, memorizing scripture, etc. I lack discipline and I'm finding it starts with my mind. I've got loads of knowledge and formal training in many of the areas in which I struggle... I do lack the self control of application and daily pursuit as well as the acceptance of the authority and power of the Holy Spirit to change me. I know this will be a life long process, but I am pledging today to start with one small step... acknowledgement of the problem and commitment to daily make an effort to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment