Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 19 - Something I hate to do

This picture makes me giggle...probably because I can so readily relate to it.  There are a few things that I really don't like to do, but I hate to untangle knots.  Whether it's shoe laces, fine chained necklaces, garden hoses, or cable cords, I really display a low frustration threshold when it comes to straightening them out.  Mostly because I know that about 98% of the reason that I am having to do so is because of my lazy carelessness.  If I'd have properly stored any of the above, well then, I'd not be in the pickle of undoing them!

I find that sin in my life is the same way.  Often it is my inattention to a small detail, choice, decision, or thought that starts an intertwining of wickedness around my heart.  I can pretty much guarantee that all of my missteps occur in one of three areas spelled out in 1 John 2:16 ~ For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. Either my carnal self desires something, my eyes see something that makes me want it, or it's a source of pride.  Oh the havoc each of those things have wreaked on my life at one time or another.  The worst part is trying to undo the damage (untangling the knot) that those choices have caused.

I've experienced such times in my life.  I made choices not to follow what I know the Lord was telling me to do.  Even though He clearly told me to wait, I kept pushing the boundaries.  Instead of obeying His protective admonishment, I chose to move forward with my own agenda.  Unfortunately, I ended up with a situation that has left a lot of shrapnel in several lives and me holding a big entangled mess.  It is ever so painful to try to unknot those feelings, issues, and hurt.  There are somethings that can be fixed, but so often there are permanent scars that will be left behind.  Other times, it's like what Rollo said to Juno when she was going to buy test to see if she was pregnant, "That ain't no Etch-A-Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, Homeskillet." Yes, I liked the movie Juno and loved that quote because it is so true...sometimes we just cannot undo the consequences of our sin.

So what lessons are learned from all of this tangled mess...obedience, taking thoughts captive and taking them to the throne, PRAYER is invaluable, the Lord forgives, people can forgive but may not want be close any longer, to guard my heart, and that the Word of God is more precious than I've ever understood.  I've also learned that He is walking with me with every knot I release.  What a gracious Friend I have in Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment