Thursday, February 23, 2012

Happy Birthday, Kelli!

Today I am taking a break from the photo of the day blog series to honor someone I have known all of her life...and most of mine.  As is with most sisters, this relationship has been woven with many, many memories ~ some great ones and some not so great.  We have laughed, cried, fought, forgiven and loved each other as only sisters can do.  I admit, I haven't been the best big sister and I really wish I could go back and change the way I handled a lot of things.  Yet, here we are 46 years later, still growing together.  Let me tell you some spectacular things that make Kelli unique and why I admire and respect her...

First, she is persistent!  Now, for those who know her really well, you are probably chuckling that I started it off with this description.  You see, we all kind of tease Kel about being overly persistent...as in OCD!  Yet, for all of the ribbing she receives, this is a great trait most of the time.  When Kelli believes in something, she will stick with it, fight for it, and see it come to fruition.  I know that because her persistence is the reason that our family came to know Christ.  She got saved around the time she was in 3rd or 4th grade and was adamant that all of us started going to church.  It was her persistence, along with the Lord's moving that started the Ewings on an adventure of knowing Jesus.  I will be eternally grateful for her!

Second, she is hilarious!  Kelli is one of the funniest people I have ever spent time with.  I especially love when she, Dad and Jeff get going because they can play off of each other so well.  She can zing a person before they ever knew what hit them!

Third, she loves deeply!  This is probably the thing I respect the most about her.  For someone who can come across as tough at times, she is really a softie with a huge heart.  Just ask the kids she has taught over the years.  She can control a classroom of 5th graders better than anyone I know ~ she expects good behavior, for them to try their best, and she sets the expectation bar high ~ and yet those kids know that she loves them!!  She is their biggest cheerleader, one who will celebrate their uniqueness, give a pat on the back or a hug when they need one.  She is the same way with her family and friends.  She isn't afraid to confront when she needs to because she loves so deeply and wants to see all of us be the best we can be.

Finally, I just want to say that I love Kelli because she is Kelli ~ no more, no less.  I have always felt a bit protective of her (even though I was the worst at picking on her!!!) and have many wonderful memories of our growing up together.  I remember the day she had her stroke almost two years ago and the helpless fear I had knowing as her big sister, I couldn't protect her or fix this for her.  I remember praying like I have never prayed before as I literally raced to Peoria to wait for her to arrive at the hospital.  I specifically asked God to heal her and to allow her to be the Kelli she is.  I remember sitting outside the Neuro unit waiting for her to be wheeled in from her life flight and seeing her come through those doors.  She took one look at me, pointed her fingers as me and pretended to shoot me and wink at the same time.  I knew at that moment that the Lord loved her and I so much that He was going to fix this...and He has.  Kelli is a deeper, more loving person today in spite of that set back.  She has allowed the Lord to soften her.  God really can make something good come out of something bad ~ Kelli proves that!

Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people!  I love you, Kelli!!

No comments:

Post a Comment