Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday Surprise..."and it landed me in the ER"

I must admit, I've laughed at the blog challenges for the last couple of days.  Given that it's been a stress filled 48 hours, it's a nice diversion.  So today's challenge is to blog about something landing me in the ER.  Hmmmm...several to choose from...like the time I sliced my toe in a canoe race before a big dance, or when I ended up with a concussion while imitation my friend Toney on the Batman ride at Six Flaggs, or when I broke my leg and my Daddy-o took me to the ER and was popping wheelies in the wheel chair with me in it...or the scarier times when I have ended up there and some of the most amazing people showed up to be with me.  Nope, gonna go with humorous...it had to be the time I fell out of my office chair at home.

Let me set the scene...I was home working on some stuff at my desk while I was watching the Super Bowl.  Now, you have to understand that I am a football fan and can get into just about any game (just ask my dog, who HATES football season and will go to her "happy place" in the bathroom when I get over zealous in my cheering!).  There was some play that apparently excited me a bit too much and I cheered, pushed my chair back and completely flipped out of it, landing on the edge of my treadmill. I let out a war whoop that my roomie mistook for cheering, until I started screaming for her to come help me.  As she came into the room to find the chair on top of me and me on top of the treadmill, I was crying out in pain.  She tried to help me up, but we couldn't find an easy way to help me as I'd hurt my shoulder, arm, back and right hip.  As I wallered around, she got to laughing and between my tears and pain, I started laughing.  I finally was able to get up and we went to the ER to see if I'd broken anything.

Once in the ER, I happened to get one of our local docs with whom I'd worked during my nursing home tenure.  We'd always gotten along and I knew I was in good hands.  He asked me what had happened, and I embarrassingly had to relay the whole story.  He then gets a wry grin on his face and asks how much I  had to drink.  Of course, I was stone sober and the drink du jour was a Diet Coke.  As I get back from x-ray, I hear the nurse ask him what happened and he says, "She fell out of a chair"...then in a voice that was noticeably a few decibels louder says, "and I think she's been drinking". Oh, how he knows what fires me up... I yelled down the hall, "NO, I WASN'T!!" then began the peals of laughter from his little office area.  As I was leaving he thanked me for livening up his evening and told me to lay off the liquor. I shot him the evil eye, and we both cracked up  laughing.

I was fracture free but had one heck of a bruise on the entire right side of my body.  I did have my arm in a sling, which produced many questions and opportunities to regale others with my story.

PS...to those of you who have been there for me when the story wasn't as humorous, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment